Caps and Crowns
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are covers or “caps” that are placed over a tooth. First, your tooth is shaved down and all bacteria is removed. Then an impression is taken, and a tooth is designed to fit the space and match the color of your surrounding teeth. Finally, the dental crown is glued on top of the natural, shaved tooth.
The crown restores the tooth to its normal shape, size, and function. The purpose of a crown is to make the tooth stronger or improve the way it looks.
One of the main benefits of a dental crown is that you avoid extraction and keep your natural tooth.
When Do You Need A Dental Crown?
- If you have a cavity that is too large for a filling to fix.
- If you have a gap or are missing a tooth and need a bridge.
- If you have a tooth that is cracked, worn down or otherwise weakened and you want to keep as much of the natural tooth as possible.
- If you have had root canal treatment, the crown will protect the restored tooth.
- If you want to cover a discolored or badly shaped tooth and improve your smile.
What Are Dental Crowns Made Of?
There are two types of dental crowns: porcelain fused to metal, or full ceramic crowns. Your Delray Beach dentist will decide which is best in your specific case based on tooth position, surrounding teeth structure, gum tissues, and more.